It’s time to dust off your bicycle! May is National Bike Month, and there’s no better time to get back on your bike. The COVID-19 virus has had us all staying at home and a bit cooped up over the last several weeks, yet, you’ve probably noticed more people out enjoying a bike ride lately.
Cycling is a fun way to fit in some heart-healthy exercise and take in the natural beauty scenery of The Woodlands Hills. The dedicated bike lanes along the major connector thoroughfares offer a protected path that’s convenient – whether you’re a serious touring rider or just out for a leisurely ride on a comfort cruiser with the family.
The Woodlands Hills is one of the only communities in the area to feature dedicated bike lanes. You will also find an abundance of paved pathways to explore in and around The Woodlands Hills.
Bill Adams of Conroe Cycling & Fitness, located at 1106 N. Loop 336 West in Conroe, notes, “Biking is an excellent low-impact form of exercise that gets you outdoors to take in some fresh air. If you haven’t been on a bike in a while, you may experience some soreness in your legs after your first ride, but that’s a good sign! It’s good to get out and about and see your neighbors and offer a friendly wave at this time.”
Before you head out, Gary Rogers, owner of Race Ready Repair Custom Bicycle Shop located in Historic Downtown Conroe at 206 N. Main, recommends these safety and accessories tips:
- Check the tires – make sure they are in good condition and properly inflated.
- Check the chain – make sure it’s clean and free of debris and lubricate it with bicycle chain oil if it looks rusty.
- Check the brakes – test the brakes to make sure they are good working order and inspect the wear on the brake pads.
- Always wear a bicycle helmet – that goes for adults as well as children
- Bring water – a water bottle holder is easy to install and makes staying hydrated convenient.
- Ring-A-Ling! – use a bicycle bell to signal to other cyclists and pedestrians that you are coming up behind them (hand signaling is another method).
Do you hear that? It’s your bike calling out to you! Get out today and start pedaling. Enjoy a spin to celebrate National Bike Month!