With the month of May designated as National Walking Month, it’s a great reminder to set a healthy goal to lace up your shoes and step out. Walking is one of the simplest and safest forms of exercise, and best of all, it’s free!
The Woodlands Hills has several miles of hike-and-bike trails with nature trails throughout the award-winning community. Also, there are many inter-connected pathways to move you throughout the neighborhoods, parks, and around the Activity Center.
Just 30 minutes of walking on most days of the week (if not all) can tremendously benefit your physical and mental wellness. You can even break it up into two 15-minute jaunts to make it more convenient if you have a busy lifestyle.
The benefits of taking a stroll each day can:
- Improve your cardiovascular health
- Strengthen your bones and muscles
- Increase your energy level and mood
- Help prevent or manage chronic health conditions
- Decreases stress, anxiety, and depression
- Improve your oxygen level, breathing, and lung health
- Burn calories!
When you’re out on your trek, here are some tips to get the most out of your walk:
- Wear a sports watch to track your steps, heart rate, and pace.
- Skip the ear pods to take in and enjoy the sounds of nature surrounding you.
- Keep protected from the sun with sunscreen, a shaded hat, and sunglasses.
- Invest in a good pair of quality walking shoes or athletic shoes.
The Woodlands Hills community offers the perfect opportunity to get into the routine of taking a walk each day. There are also dedicated bike lanes along the major connector thoroughfares that offer a protected path that’s convenient. Make plans to step out with your family, the pet dog, and/or a cherished neighbor today to get a move on!